ThierryH Returns to Thwart Rikardo12_lpSoldier in Barclays Final
Written by Cro Morgan
09 Jan'10 - 14:54
Playing his first tournament since Wimbledon in June of this year, ThierryH took down the World No. 1 in the championship match of the Barclays ITST World Tour Finals, defeating Rikardo12_lpSoldier in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6.
A force on the tour when in his prime, ThierryH escaped round-robin play with a perfect record of 3-0. The German veteran then ripped Cristianspin in the semifinals, 6-3, 6-1.
A member of the red group, Rikardo12_lpSoldier was also perfect in round-robin play. In the semifnals, the Argentine ace dispatched Titou72, 6-3, 6-4.
The meeting between ThierryH and Rikardo12_lpSoldier would be the seventh of their career. ThierryH would take to the court as the overwhelming favorite, having won all six of their prior meetings.
Not long after the start of the match, it was apparent that ThierryH was in fine form, deflecting all of Rikardo12_lpSoldier’s chances to net a one set lead. The second set was tighter, but again ThierryH proved to be the better player, winning the tiebreaker to wrap-up the exclusive year-end title.
With the tour now at it’s end, ThierryH will walk into the ITST sunset with a career record of 147-67. During his run, the now World No. 5 secured seven championships.
Rikardo12_lpSoldier will close the year as the tour’s highest ranked player. He will close his brilliant career with 18 titles and a match record of 248-118.
More Men's Singles News:
· Cristianspin Stuns Elgatogaudio in Valencia Open Final (20 Nov'09 - 15:13)
· Titou72 Overcomes Slow Start, Celebrates Maiden Title in Lyon (15 Nov'09 - 14:02)
· Q. Reese Upsets Pablojack in Kremlin Cup Final (05 Nov'09 - 14:18)
· Rikardo12_lpSoldier Eases Past Eddi to Win Shanghai Masters (05 Nov'09 - 13:43)
· Rikardo12_lpSoldier Overcomes Pablojack Challenge in China Open Final (20 Oct'09 - 14:41)